I love styling houses for photo shoots. There’s something so exciting about that moment when the house is perfect and the photographer captures it in a pristine state. Especially when the day before there were kids toys everywhere, fingerprints all over the fridge and ‘stuff’ falling out of cupboards and baskets.
The best part though is when owners facial expressions of shock, turn into pride after seeing their house transformed! I could stare at those proud-as-punch faces all day.
The thing is, to get it to that point, there is a lot of work that goes into it getting it sparkling like that. So today I am sharing a few tips to help you get your home photo shoot ready! If you are headed for putting your house on the market, or even taking photos for your own enjoyment, these pointers will help you on your way.
- First step is to clean E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Do the most thorough clean you’ve ever done in your life, one that would make your Mum and Grandmother proud.
- Cull the personal items that don’t add to the space. Bills, rotten fruit, your kids loose tooth that fell out last night and anything else that falls into that category. Make sure you clean your fridge off too. Pack away the Big Banana magnet that your Mum sent you on her Grey Nomads trip to Coffs. You know the stuff I mean right? Things like this distract the viewers eyes in the shots.
- Replace any blown light bulbs and make sure they match the existing ones [ie: if you have warm coloured light bulbs through your house, make sure the new replacement ones are warm light ones too].
- Hide away any electrical cords out of sight as best you can. Pack away the kids toys in another room where they won’t be seen. If you have kids rooms, only keep out the best of the toys for display. Keep it minimal.
- Mow the lawn the day before, pack up hoses and clean up any landscape, outdoor areas.
If you apply these pointers you will be on your way to a much calmer photography team as they will be able to focus on the styling, composition and photography of your home. If you want your interior styled and photographed, email us to find out how we can help you!